2011 progress report to the Global Alliance for
Ministries and Departments of Peace
Country: Costa Rica
Established Ministry: Ministry for Justice and Peace
GA Contact Person: Rita Marie Johnson
Contact Email: email@example.com
- We have accomplished a very important labor of positioning the Vice Ministry of Peace in all the circles of the Government.
- There is a National Council for Security and Social Peace, in which all the highest authorities of the government work towards promoting security and peace as a national policy.
- In this same line, the Government had call for a national consult, in which it determines the national policy that will feed all the work of the Council mentioned above. This national policy is called “POLSEPAZ”.
- Promoting peaceful resolution of conflicts is one of the main activities done by the Vice minister of peace. We have accomplished to install mediation programs in schools and high schools all over the country.
- We have made activities working together with civil society, mainly “invading” communities with peace messages. We do Peace Festivals, which consist in inviting all the community to a public place and take over it, recovering the social network that helps preventing crime and promoting social peace.
Summarizing all these achievements, we can certainly say that we have evolved from a project to a consolidated institution, creating a peace network, in which all the institutions interested in the subject and civil society are involved.
Peace and harmony are common words now in the jargon of all public servers, because of the efforts made by President Chinchilla herself and all her team working together.